In 1914, Miss Bessie Murphy, a well-known home demonstrator in the Mid-South, traveled from Memphis to Wilson every week. She taught local homemakers sewing, cooking, interior design, and home art skills. These Wilson homemakers formed The Wilson Cooperative Club in 1916 to gather and share ideas as a resource for local women. The Cooperative Club is the oldest of its kind in Mississippi County and one of Arkansas’ oldest. Initially meeting in the ladies’ homes, one of the original members asked her uncle, R.E. Wilson, to use the abandoned schoolhouse near the Wilson Town Square. The former schoolhouse, now called the Wilson Cooperative Clubhouse, remains the organization’s home. In 2015, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Since then, the Wilson Cooperative Club is a staple within the Wilson community, actively working with the residents, supporting and planning community events.